great great grandmothers camellias

radnurseFebruary 1, 2008

I have made cuttings of my great great grandmothers camellia bushes. I do not know the names of them because they are so very old. There are six very large bushes with white, red and pink blooms. I would love all advice on how to root them,where to plant them so they thrive and how to take care of them.I have photos of the pink flowers as they are just starting to bloom. The bushes are located in Georgia, I hope to get the cuttings to root in NC. Please help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hello, radnurse. A plastic box that drains well and is filled with a mix of 50% sand and 50% peat will work. Cuttings should be planted two inches apart and the plastic box's top should be placed tightly to maintain adequate moisture levels.

The link below from the American Camellia Society gives more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Camellias by Cuttings and Seeds by ACS

Bookmark   February 4, 2008 at 4:04AM
radnurse

Thanks for the info... I bought some peat that was mixed with sand and placed them in starter pots. I also used something to dip the cuttings in to help them root. Hopefully it will work they are beautiful camellias.I would hate to loose them. Luckily The main plants are massive...Can always try again..

Bookmark   February 6, 2008 at 7:47PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Remember that this is not an ideal time to take camellia cuttings, so don't be disappointed if yours do not root. Be sure that your cuttings are not too long, and that you remove all but the top couple of leaves. Scarring the basal end of the cutting can help facilitate root initiation, too.

You'll need to provide extra humidity, so hopefully you are able to place your starter pots in an enclosed area (like a baggie or a plastic bin or a greenhouse) where the humidity will be very high. Many of the professional greenhouses I've seen keep their camellia cuttings under intermittent misting systems until they strike (root).

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 11:07AM
sunnync

If your cuttings do not root and you can get down in March, you may want to try air layering. You end up with a larger plant that should bloom the next year.

Check your libray for camellia books to aid in id'ing the camellias. Your local camellia club members should be able to help. Try taking the blooms to a camellia show. There are many old popular camellias. A great favotite is Pink Perfection, a light pink formal double style.

Good luck. I do not have any of my Mother's camellias though she fostered my love of this lovely, easy plant. I have my Grandmother's red flowing quince and her old - fashined daffodills. They are beautiful and of great sentimental value to me.

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 11:41AM
More Discussions
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™