Slow growers??

aggieroseMarch 4, 2008

I planted a red camelia this past May. It is about 3 feet tall. It has not put out a single new leaf since I planted it. It did bloom like crazy though and still has at least 30 flowers on it and it does look very healthy. Are they always such slow growers? How much growth should I expect each year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Hello, aggierose. Yes, camellias are well known for being slow growers. That is the reason very tall specimens in nurseries command such high prices: they are old shrubs many years (10-15) old.

While a rose bush can grow feet in one season, a camellia would grow inches. Because they are evergreen shrubs, they replace their leaves slowly. New uninjured leaves can stay on for more than a year, 2 years at the longest. Sasanquas usually shed leaves around June-ish (mid-to-late spring time / early summer time).

Your plant is concentrating now on developing a good root system so pay no attention to the lack of growth. Just keep giving the TLC that you have given it so far. It sounds like it likes your garden!

By the way, try not to accelerate growth by adding fertilizers as that does not work as it does with roses. Camellias react like other wooded plants by ignoring the extra fertilizer and absorbing only what they want. The problem with doing this is that extra fertilizer may keep them in growth mode during Fall/Winter. As a general rule, try not to fertilize after July or August. Once the danger of late frosts has passed, add about 1/2 cup of cottonseed meal monthly. Minor fertilizers like liquid seaweed and coffee grounds can be added during that time frame too.

Luis

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 5:36AM
More Discussions
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Sponsored Products
Warm White Solar 8-Function Commercial LED Christmas Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Little Cottage 12 x 16 ft. Value Gambrel Barn Precut Storage Shed - 4 ft. Barn M
Hayneedle
BEMIS Seats Slow Close Round Closed Front Toilet Seat in Arizona Sky 580SLOW 105
$34.98 | Home Depot
Rotisserie Kit for Frontgate by TEC Grill
$313.00 | FRONTGATE
BEMIS Seats Slow Close STA-TITE Elongated Closed Front Toilet Seat in Sage
$68.38 | Home Depot
Cuisinart 3-in-1 Cook Central
$159.00 | FRONTGATE
Emile Henry Ceramic 10 in. 5.5 qt. Flame Top Round Dutch Oven with Lid - 614553
$225.00 | Hayneedle
Emile Henry 4.2 qt. Stew Pot - Black - 714540
$100.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: