Sasanqua?

jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)March 14, 2014

Hi folks, purchased a camellia at a plant sale last year. It's now in a 3-gal pot, doing well. Don't see any flower buds on it. It was labelled sasanqua, is there any way to tell whether it actually is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Sasanqua leaves tend to be smaller, shinier and handle sun exposure better than others.

The blooms appear in the Fall, while most japonicas/etc may bloom December thru March. Most tend to produce upright or round/oval shaped bushes.

But trying to tell if it is a sasanqua when it is not in bloom is difficult. If you bought it last year and has no flower buds now, it could be a sasanqua that already bloomed or it could be a sinensis that also already bloomed. Camellia sinensis is used to make tea though; it produces a lot of single white blooms (with some pink exceptions) at the end of the tips and tea people probably cut off the blooms in order to force production of more leaves.

Luis

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 9:30PM
jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)

Thanks Luis, I guess I'm going to have to wait for blooms. Dang, the suspense is killing me!

Bookmark   March 15, 2014 at 2:48AM
vmr423

To make things even trickier, a lot of people will include Camellia vernalis and Camellia hiemalis (and maybe another camellia species or two) under the catch-all description of 'Sasanqua'.

I'm attaching a link to a web site that has lots of photos of sasanquas (or sazankas if you prefer that spelling). Have a look at the leaves to see if they look similar. My guess is that if it was labeled as a sasanqua, that's probably what you've got, and that's a good thing. Sasanquas are excellent garden plants- handsome evergreen shrubs/trees for most of the year and blooming like crazy for a few weeks in the fall. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: web site with info on sasanqua camellias

Bookmark   March 17, 2014 at 2:43AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Yes, many cultivars sold as Sasanqua camellias are actually Camellia x hiemalis and C. x vernalis forms - among those in general commerce there is a tendency for the true C. sasanqua to have white flowers - but this is not always the case, by any means - there are many pink C. sasanqua selections in existence also.

The dominant representative of C. x vernalis these days is 'Yuletide', a seedling that came up at Nuccio's that can be seen to be partly C. japonica right off because it produces red flowers.

It is a similar situation to the China roses, where certain prominent China rose cultivars are actually tea roses (Rosa x odorata) botanically - think of Sasanqua as a horticultural group that includes but is not limited to cultivars of C. sasanqua itself.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™