potted Hydrangea given as a gift

roksee(Benicia SF Bay Area)March 6, 2014

Hello, I'm in 94510 (think its 9) I received a pretty white Hydrangea in a plastic pot from a nursury.... the back garden faces North West and East.... where would be the best place to plant it ?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zackey(GA 8b)

Where it gets at least a half day of sun.

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 2:40AM
napapen(ca 15)

Hydrangeas need water. that what Hydra means!

Bookmark   March 6, 2014 at 12:37PM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

Several years ago my employer sent me a potted Hydrangea macrophylla after my father passed away. It is VERY sentimental so I took my time finding the best spot for it in the yard.

I planted it in an open northeast-facing spot against the back of the house. It gets early morning sun in winter, more sun until about noon in summer, and bright shade all afternoon. We have clay soil that retains moisture. It has been very happy in this spot.

If you live in an area with hot summers I would not plant it in a spot that gets afternoon sun unless you are willing to give it a LOT of water.

Jen

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 3:39PM
MK

I take it you're in Benicia, I'm in WC. I've had lots of success with Hydrangea because I've planted them in bright shade. You have much more marine influence in Benicia and I have a lot of hot sun and NO trees at my house. So, morning sun is likely ok where you are, but intense sun even in morning is too much. Fertile soil, ample water, right light conditions. They are one of my all-time favs.

Bookmark   March 7, 2014 at 6:38PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

east side of house = morning sun = ideal for hydrangea.

west side of house = hot afternoon sun = too hot for hydrangea

north side of house = not much sun at all = hydrangea foliage okay, but won't bloom much

south side of house = all day sun = too much sun for hydrangea

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 4:48PM
kathi_mdgd

My hydrangeas go against everything that's been said here.I have them on both the west side of the house and the north side.They bloom their fool heads off in both places.I've also had them on the east side and the south side and both of those places were too hot and too much sun for mine.

maybe the fact that I'm along the coast,and get a canyon breeze makes a difference,i don't know.

What I do is move things around until I find the spot they do well in,and that's where they stay.

If you put my name as it's posted here into the search box,you should be able to see pictures of mine.
Kathi

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 5:49PM
roksee(Benicia SF Bay Area)

Thank you everyone!!

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 1:36AM
roksee(Benicia SF Bay Area)

Thank you everyone!!

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 1:37AM
More Discussions
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™