How to contain wild succulent growth?

gardenweb88(9)April 22, 2013

I have a Crassula ovata growing in my yard and its sprouting up in places I'd like it not to. Our gardener will buzz off a few branches and the fallen leaves will root where they fall. I have Crassula ovata growing under and within existing bushes. and just all over the place. The smaller stems I can yank out of the ground, root and all. There are some Crassula ovata that have been growing hidden under other bushes that now have 3" thick diameter stems. It'd be incredibly difficult for me to dig out all the roots. I spent the weekend sawing the stems down to inches of the roots. I've read that falling leaves will start new roots and that cutting growth down to the roots will still allow the thing to come back.

How can I control this thing? Can I spray herbicide on those stems that I've already cut down to the ground? My family is intent on keeping the two main Crassula ovata bushes we have. One is 4' tall and the other is close to 6' tall.

This post was edited by gardenweb88 on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 12:46

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusmcharris

Their roots don't go deep or long, so the non-herbicidal way to go is to sever the trunks slightly below the soil line. I'd think that would eventually kill the plant, but it would give you two or three years of peace anyway. You could likely do it with a sharp square-edged shovel.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
Sometimes rot ends well
Here are some pics of a jade that started as a chunk...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™