Camellia size?

gamecock43March 22, 2009

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to gardening and am trying to find shrubs for the front of my new home. I live in Savannah ga and there are Camella plants in several of our parks and they are beautiful.

I am wondering, are Camella a shrub or a tree? Can they be pruned to be about 3 feet tall year round or do they grow a thick trunk system and eventually need to grow taller?

I guess I am wondering if this is a plant I can use for my front flower bed, or if it is really a tree and will eventually be inappropriate. I don't want to have to dig up or kill a plant off in a few years because of my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

They can be large shrubs and will eventually form small trees (over a long time). You may be able to find slower growing, more spreading varieties that 'might' lend themselves to shearing -- maybe some sasanquas?

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:06AM
gamecock43

Thank you. After doing some research I decided the beautiful trees need to find a different spot on my property. :)

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 9:27AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I am not sure how long you plan on keeping them but they can certainly last several hundred years if you provide adequate growing conditions.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 10:57AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Camellia sasanqua 'Bonanza' or maybe 'Chansonette' might work in your space with some shearing after a while. Those tend to grow wider rather than tall.

Otherwise there are many, many shrubs that would fit your space... maybe dwarf yaupon holly, pittosporum, Indian Hawthorn, some of the smaller euonymus, gardenia, Helleri holly, Softtouch holly, FirePower Nandina, Encore azaleas, Viburnum davidii or Vib. 'Conoy', dwarf crape myrtles, KnockOut roses, etc, etc. Also, depends on how much sun you have.

Bookmark   March 24, 2009 at 1:56PM
IRuehl(8b-9a, Savannah GA)

I just moved to Savannah GA too! I went with azaleas, and hydrangeas, big flower shows, good size without over taking the yard. Good luck!

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 10:52AM
carolinamary

>I guess I am wondering if this is a plant I can use for my front flower bed, or if it is really a tree and will eventually be inappropriate. I don't want to have to dig up or kill a plant off in a few years because of my ignorance.

Heimalis camellia 'Shishigashira' would work beautifully. It grows mostly sideways. We've had one for maybe 25 years and it's not yet two feet tall, but it has a nice horizontal full bushy structure. A beautiful plant with prolific blooming that goes on for about six weeks every year, even in the shade. We've bought 'Bonanaza' and 'Chansonette' for a similar kind of fairly low-growing use and have good expectations for them too, but I think 'Shishigashira' is the ultimate low grower in every way. It can make a nice little cheerful edging along a walkway too.

Best wishes,
Mary

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 8:55PM
ozzysboy

Consider Mansize and/or Nuccio's Pearl, both of which have grown to about 4' for me over the past 15 years. Both are beautiful, reliable performers which are natural miniatures (not sure where the miniature/dwarf line is drawn).

Some varieties do grow large and can do so quickly--in my climate, most standard Japonicas hit the 20' mark in the 10/15 year time span, but I added the Mansize and Nuccio's Pearl when an overzealous landscaper skirted my Coaster's Blue Spruce. No problem growing the camellias to hide the tree's knees and I couldn't be happier with their bloom each spring.

-eric

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™