Anyone growing Justica Carnea in a container in CA?

paulsiu(5a)March 31, 2013

I like to know if anyone is growing Justica Carnea near the bay area in a container. I like to know how easy or difficult it is to grow and what size container will I need (will a 12" pot work)? I am looking to fill a spot that's full shade or partial shade (less than 4 hours of morning sun).

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

I'm not in the bay area,i'm in s.calif and I have been growing this for years,but mine is in the ground.I don't think a 12" pot will be big enough.Mine right now is probably 3 to 4 ft tall,but then like I said it's in the ground.I had to go look up the name as I've always called it Brazilian plume.
Kati

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 7:50PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

They do fine as a container plant here in the Bay Area, but I'd suggest a larger sized pot, more like 18" diameter by 18" tall as a better fit for the size the plant can get. Tip pinch new growth to promote bushiness, as they can get leggy otherwise, and use a time release fertilizer in the soil mix plus regular liquid feeding to promote continuous bloom.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 1:11AM
paulsiu(5a)

I was all ready to get one from Kartuz Greenhouses, but they said that it's a shade plant only if we live in the south. In the bay area, it would need more sun than 3 hours. Do you think that's the case?

Paul

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 4:56PM
seegaye(9)

I just planted 12 of these in a row to make (hopefully) an informal flowering hedge in a shaded area along my walk. They are quite small right now but I hear they grow quickly. I hope they work for what I have in mind!

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 8:11AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Paul, In zone 9a, you can grow them in the ground. All of mine come back whether covered during freeze or not.

Seegaye, I saw your cross-posts in the Texas forum and Tropicals forum. I hope you saw my reply in the Texas forum.

Carol in Jacksonville, FL

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 12:14AM
More Discussions
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™