Very strange camellia problem or I have missed the obvious
Please forgive me if this has already been presented and answered in the archives but I couldn't find anything that seemed similar and after hours of web searching I figured I should go to the experts worked in the field rather than the greenhouse.
so here is the back story...
Last month I purchased 4 camellia japicona 'winters charm' and one camellia japicona 'spellbound' from the local big box store. I'm his was about a week after an unexpected 8" of snow and before another rollercoaster of 65Ã¯Â¿Â½ days and 29Ã¯Â¿Â½ night averages. So these little babies were on the clearance cart for $5 (3 gallon size). The leaves felt dry and a few were crispy but even 1 lived, I would be looking any money so I took the chance.
As I had suspected from the leaves, they were outbound and dry as a bone. It took me hours of soaking just to unwind what I could. Unfortunately, I lost quite a bit of root in the process. They should have been in 5 gal pots last year! Just be safe I I sprinkled root tone on the roots and planted them in the beds. My beds were mostly clay but I have been amending them with mulch, peat, compost and potting soil scraps for a year. I assume this would suffice. After the first week the leaves looked very light green almost silvery, crispy when dry but soft after a little rain. I started seeing leaf nodes develop. Figured all was going good, must have been dryed out. Now what were silvery leaves are now turning brown and and have little black dots on them and the new growth is also growing brown. Last week I sprayed them with Bayer 3n1 disease and insect control but I'm worried that it may have some other issues that are not covered under the sprays protection. Also the stems branched in this years growth is green when cut or scratched but breaks. And the bark is shredding in fine thin hair like pieces.
Thank you in advance for any info or direction you can provide. I'll post pictures in a few minutes.