which critter did this?

doginthegardenMarch 14, 2012

I repotted a few small peppers yesterday and put one of them in a different area from the rest. This morning, that plant had the entire upper leaf growth bitten clean off. See photo for comparison with one of the non-bitten peppers. The bitten-off plant had been on a plant stand (well an upside down pot) and would have been hard for a bunny to get to, at least without tipping it over. The squirrels can climb just about anything, but there was no digging which is what I expect from them. Am curious, any ideas on what would have munched the top of this plant off? We have a raccoon around, and some tree rats up in the citrus trees, but I didn't think they seem likely culprits. Would birds have taken this big of a bite? I'll try to attach the photo or at any rate will include the link to it below.

thanks sb

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Probably a bunny. They're suprisingly agile. Very doubtful it was a bird. And ground squirrels not so interested in greens. That's a bunny's territory. Fortunately, you can just put a chicken wire cage over them, and that will deter bunnies. They're not very adventurous. Now, rats, that's a different story, but more likely this was bunny damage.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 11:36AM
calistoga_al

If you have deer they are also fond of peppers. Al

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 8:59AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

No snail trails? I thought someone had played a cruel joke on me once when each and every one of my newly planted marigolds looked just like that the morning after planting. Escargot.
Renee

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 1:52PM
doginthegarden

Thanks. No deer here. Hadn't thought about snails - can they take off a plant top like that overnight?? It was probably a bunny but I am really surprised that the pot wasn't tipped over. It must have been an enormous bunny, most of the guys I see in my yard aren't tall enough even if stretched out. Ah well I have most of my planting areas fenced/caged off and this is a good reminder why. Now I just have to see if the pepper will grow back, I expect so since the culprit left some lower leaves intact.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 12:47PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

clean snip = rabbit. They climb.

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 2:05PM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™