Transplanting 40yo Camilla

Opening_Night(7.5 Little Rock)March 12, 2005

I'm moving from the Washington, D.C. area to Little Rock, AR. My Mom planted a pink one 40 years ago. I've cared for her ever since. Last fall I pruned her back from 10' to bout 5'. She needed it, and new bud set. Yea! But now I'm moving. Do I leave her or should I take her?

Jimmy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gurley157fs(zone 7/8sc)

If it were me I would try to take her. She may not survive but I think it is worth a try.

I have neighbors who have 40 and 50 year old camellias in thier yards and they don't know or appreciate what they have.

Better to try to take it with you than leave it somewhere that they might just whack it down anyway.

Check with one of the camellia societies to see if they can give some expert advice on how to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: ask an expert

Bookmark   March 13, 2005 at 8:34PM
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

Moving a large camellia plant from DC to Arkansas will take a lot of skill and work, and unless you do it now, it may be too late (they don't move well in the spring and summer). An alternative to moving the entire plant is to make some air layers on a few limbs. Its simple and fun. A link is posted below, but it basically entails removing a ring of bark around a smaller limb, wrapping the wound in damp sphagnum moss to allow a root ball to form, then cutting it off in a few months after it has rooted out. (That limb will become your new plant.) You just pot it up, and then replant in Arkansas or leave it in the container. Nuthintoit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering instructions

Bookmark   March 13, 2005 at 11:41PM
Ron_B

Propagate from air layers or cuttings and leave the rest behind.

Bookmark   March 16, 2005 at 12:06PM
cockybamagirl

OH Forrest.....you must be a camellia lover...this is my first time browsing this forum and I see you all over the place....(I see you alot over at alabama forum too)....question....when is the best time to start this air layering thing...sounds like fun!!! if i jsut had a camellia to try it on!!!!

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 12:25PM
Arl_Tom(z7A VA)

Camellias are fairly rare in the DC area, so if you leave it where it is you may want to put a label on it (such as "Camellia Japonica") for the new owner. Just a thought.

Bookmark   May 11, 2005 at 11:53PM
martha49

I have a camellia in a suburb of DC. I am going to attempt to transplant it. But I am not sure I can do it. I have been putting it off but need to make room for a porch. I would give this to someone who was willing to help dig it up. it is 5' tall and has white blooms.

Bookmark   October 15, 2005 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
People viewed this after searching for:
d c
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™