New Venice Courtyard in Mostly Shade: what should i plant?

losfelizdirtMarch 19, 2010

i have about a 20 by 20 space to grow in Venice right off the beach. It is the first time I am planting in shade. It is surrounded on all sides by two story buildings.

Any suggestions? i'm considering going somewhat "tropical" -- with bamboo, elephant ears, and lots of jasmines to climb up to the sun....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Your 20 by 20 space may look large when bare, but you may quickly overcome the space with the rampant growers you mentioned. Al

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 8:56AM
losfelizdirt

yep i know! but the bamboo is all clumping. it's not a lot of space! im just wondering if anything comes to mind :)

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 9:34AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Continuing with the tropical theme, bromeliads, palms, ferns, Heliconias, Vireya rhododendrons, Begonias,etc.

Some of my favorite shade plants in the above categories would include Neoregelias, Vreasias, Alcantarea imperialis rubra, Chamaedorea plumosa, C. tepelijote, C. costaricana, Rhopalostylis chathamica, Howeia forsteriana, Blechnum gibbum, Cibotium glaucum, Cyathea medularis, Asparagus densiflorus 'Meyers', Asparagus retrofractus, Heliconia scheideana, H. latispatha, H. aurantiaca, Rex Begonias, Begonia 'Irene Ness', Schefflera pueckleri variegata, to name a few.

For nearly year round flowers, things like Abutilons, Iochromas, Fuchsia boliviana, Clivia miniata and C. nobilis, Neomarica caerulea, and colorful foliage plants such as Iresine herbstii, Stromanthe sanguinea, Clerodendrum quadroliculare 'Brandonii', Aucuba japonica variegata are also nice and easy.

For clumping bamboos, Drepanostachyum falcatum 'Teague's Blue', Chusquea coronalis, Otatea acuminata 'Aztectorum', Phyllostachys nigra, and Sasa palmata var nebulosa are personal favorites, with the running ones in containers.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
My moonflowers won't bloom!
Hi. I'm Laura and I'm pretty new to gardening but I...
Laura Casconi
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
New exciting Mediterranean Gardening and Outdoor Living Magazine
For advice from professionals look at our magazine...
Justin Wride
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
Sponsored Products
Kartell | Tati Lamp
YLiving.com
Navy Trunk Show iPad Case - BRIGHT NAVY TRUNK
$98.00 | Horchow
Faceted Walnut Lamp
$209.99 | Dot & Bo
Roma 16 Light Chandelier by Corbett Lighting
$5,848.00 | Lumens
Ceramic Curved Cone Wall Sconce
$308.00 | Bellacor