C. chekiangoleosa is in bloom.

jon_z6bMarch 15, 2011

These past few years have been rough on camellias. I have lost a handful of old, mature specimens. I'm blaming the very erratic weather due to the heavy spraying of atmospheric aerosols (IE chemtrails). The ones that are still alive are also having erratic bloom times. This has prevented me in investing in any more camellia stock- I don't see the spraying stopping anytime soon (sorry camforest). This being the case, I'm glad to have a few blooms on my chekiangoleosa. The blooms droop down so it's not very showy. I would normally have quite a few other camellias in bloom to cross this with, but not this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Very nice close up, jon_z6b! Thanks for sharing. I always mess up those close ups with my camera.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 1:03PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The 1990 winter here was the coldest in 30 years, with predictable results on plants including some kinds of camellias. Cold winters at long intervals is normal. Zone 6b is pretty cold for camellias.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 1:54PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

That's pretty good for 6b. Where do you live? Have you tried any of the hardy Ackerman hybrids?

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™