When to prune?

kimwood(z8b N.Cent. FL)March 7, 2005

I am new to gardening and read that I should prune back my camellia after it finishes blooming and before the end of April, before buds for next year begin to grow. So I went out this morning and it looks like there are already lots of buds on the bush! Should I go ahead and prune the plant or let it go until next year? Or do you think it will bloom again this year? This is a well-established, large camellia. Thanks for any thoughts or insights you may have.

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ron_B

The buds for the following year are set on the new growth, after it blooms, then stay in place through the winter. That's why you cut right after bloom, so you don't cut off buds that are just about to open or cut off ones for the next year that have been set in summer-autumn.

Bookmark   March 9, 2005 at 4:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Temecula(z9/19 CA)

I have several large camellias (approx. 10 yrs. in the ground, but already very large when planted) and I have never pruned them. They produce tons of blooms every year. I really don't see the need to prune unless maybe there's something wrong with the shape of your plant.

Bookmark   March 10, 2005 at 7:54PM
More Discussions
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™