Overwhelmed

yankee_in_va(z7 VA)March 15, 2006

I really want to plant a camellia or two soon. I just went to a nursery and was overwhelmed with the tent full of different varieties. From reading, I think I want a sasanqua due to it's hardiness, but it seems there are many different kinds of those. My area has clay soil, slightly acidic, with filtered sun. How should I narrow down the selection?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Arl_Tom(z7A VA)

Hi Yankee,

The CSPV.org site has a great deal of information about camellias that are suited to colder climates. The webpage connected to the link below doesn't have pictures, but if you do a Google image search you can find pictures for most of them. If you like pink, then 'Jerry Hill' is excellent.

~Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: U.S. National Arboretum/Ackerman Camellia Hybrids

Bookmark   March 15, 2006 at 8:00PM
yankee_in_va(z7 VA)

Thanks for the link and info, Tom.

One more question - will the plants in the nursery be labelled Ackerman and then then Frost Prince? Or will I just need to know that Frost Prince is an Ackerman hybrid?

Bookmark   March 16, 2006 at 8:10AM
Arl_Tom(z7A VA)

Hi Yankee,

I doubt that you will see Dr. Ackerman's name on the plant label at the Nursery. He developed many of them when he worked for USDA. Usually, it's just the plant name on the label. Hope this helps.

~Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: National Arboretum Introductions

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™