C. japonica 'Lester M. Allen'

greenguy1(z7 Maryland)March 10, 2008

I bought a C. japonica this weekend which is tagged with the cultivar name 'Lester M. Allen.' It has a 4 1/2" to 5" ruffled, semi-double, pale blush pink flower with a yellow center of mostly normal stamens with an occasional petaloid one. Tag lists it as having good cold hardiness, and I did find a list from the master gardeners in Gloucester, VA, recommending C. japonica 'Lester A. Allen' (wondering if the middle initial is a typo or error) as one for southwestern Virginia gardens and showing it as having zone 7A hardiness. Does anybody have experience with this one? Thanks.

- Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Hmmm. Gloucester, VA is in the Southeast part of VA and is quite mild. I've never heard of this variety. Where did you buy it?

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 2:58PM
greenguy1(z7 Maryland)

Homestead Gardens in Davidsonville, MD. Only an hour or less from NoVa, they have a very wide selection of camellias.

- Steve

Bookmark   March 12, 2008 at 8:12PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Must check out Homestead sometime! Though it's a bit of a drive. I'm closer to Merrifield, Craven, Amer. Plant Food Co., etc.

Also, The Cam. Soc of the Potomac Valley is having a sale at Brookside Gardens March 29-30, I believe. There will be hardy varieties, including Ackerman hybrids.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 7:58AM
More Discussions
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™