Solitary Bee Nest

marricgardensFebruary 21, 2013

In the last Lee Valley catalogue we rec'd I saw these nests advertised. The thing I'm wondering about is, do you think these nests would attract wasps to? We have a lot of wasps here and I don't need to provide them with homes.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sensiblegardening

I saw those too, but I think the best way to attract bees is with bee loving plants. We have a small apiary and that's what we do to make them happy. If you have bee plants, the bees will come and pollinate your garden plus you will be helping out the bees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants For Bees

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 11:16PM
marricgardens

I have a lot of bee plants in my garden already. The favorites seem to be the herb hyssop, anise hyssop & catmint for the pollinators and the lupins and hyssop for the bumble bees. Last year I didn't see quite as many pollinators around so that's why I was thinking of these nests. They get plenty to eat here but they need safe home. I did email the company and they told me that wasps don't go to the nests because they are territorial and already have their own nests. These nests are recommended by the Xerces Society.

Bookmark   February 24, 2013 at 8:03AM
madtripper(5/6 Guelph)

You did not provide a link to the product you are considering so it is difficult to answer your question.

I suspect you are looking for nesting boxes for solitary bees. It is used for them to lay eggs, which then overwinter. They are basically small narrow tubes. Wasps normally do not use the nests, except that some predatory wasps will lay their eggs into the nest so the larvae can feed on the bee larvae.

the nests are not designed to attract bees - the flowers do that. the nest provides a place for them to produce next years crop of bees.

do some google research for masson bees to get the full story.

Author of GardenMyths.com

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 11:38PM
marricgardens

I first saw them advertised in the Lee Valley catalogue. They are used to provide safe nesting places for the bees. Here's another link. http://www.xerces.org/pollinator-conservation/

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 8:44AM
More Discussions
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
test
test
Nitefall
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™