Find 2 names

minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)March 13, 2011

I was at a nursery in Paradise, CA yesterday. There were 2 camellias planted outside the gift shop. 1st one was a peony flower - somewhat ruffly outer petals with lots and lots of fine petals in the inner 4/5ths of the bloom - white with medium pink picotee. Just gorgeous. 2st one was, as a newly opened bloom, single, almost a coral/pink red with a ton of brilliant yellow stamens. As the flower aged, it turned a bluish mauve. These were well established plants, about 6 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide, on the north side of a building up in the Sierra Foothills that had 2-3 of snow 2 weeks ago, and gets pretty close to 100 a lot in the summer.

I was told that one was Mrs. DW Davis, and the other was Julia Drake. Naturally enough, searching online finds nothing that looks like the plants and blooms I saw under those names. This is intensely frustrating, and I WANT them....

Melinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

You may have to get assistance from a local nursery to locate a wholesaler and then special order them. DW is an old camellia from the 70s. Aside from the original, there are several versions out there: Mrs. D. W. Davis Descanso is a full peony sport of the original; Mrs. D. W. Davis Peony is a loose peony sport; Mrs. D. W. Davis Special has double the number of petals.

I do not recognize Julia Drake but there are other Julias out there. Because we are all human and the name could have been typo'ed, try to view a picture of the blooms before you pay.

Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena (626) 794-3383 might be able to help.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 5:47AM
minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)

I was thinking I should get back up there and take pictures to help me hunt. Sigh. PITA!

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 11:47AM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I am not sure if I have been to Altadena, CA before (I did get lost a few times driving in L.A.) but I am sure I would end up with too many camellias in the car if I had stopped at Nuccios. LOL!

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 4:28PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Luis, you said it! That is so true; I would, too!!

Carol

Bookmark   April 9, 2011 at 5:17PM
More Discussions
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Will this camellia bloom soon?
I have 6 fairly new camellia bushes (most have bright...
Sarah Bain
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™