ID help...hummingbird clearwing moth?

monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))July 12, 2012

I have never seen one of these before in my life. Does anyone know if it is a hummingbird clearwing moth?

And minutes later, my first spicebush swallowtail of the year. Only stayed for a minutes, but that means more are coming, right? :)

-Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, it's a hummingbird clearwing moth, Sandy, and what a beautiful picture of it!

The picture of the spicebush swallowtail is beautiful, too!
I hope you'll be seeing more of them. They lay their eggs on spicebushes and sassafras, so you could look around for caterpillars and/or eggs on either of those two host plants. I've raised about ?6 or 7 of them so far this year.

Congratulations!

Sherry

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 3:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monkeybelle(7A NJ (Camden County))

Thank you for the confirmation on the moth! I almost didn't get any pictures-I didn't know what it was and just watched it from inside the house until I was fairly certain that it wasn't a mutant hornet or something! How exciting to see something new!

I will definately keep an eye out for caterpillars. There are some houses with what I think are spicebushes in my neighborhood, I assume that's where they are coming from. There were several s. swallowtails that visited last year so I was looking forward to their arrival this summer as well!

Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Anyone have advice on wood pupators?
Was out gathering food for my cecropias the other day...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™