25 ft camellia japonica in central alabama

plantaholic(zone 8a AL)March 23, 2010

this camellia is growing here in anniston AL and is one of the largest ive ever seen. im not sure of the variety... any ideas? it reminds me alot of lady clare.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
okintos

Hello Plantaholic.
Camellia I think I see in your photos, is Adolphe Audusson. Semi-double camellia are very similar. But when we Adolphe Audusson in sight, this camellia is not confused with other camellias. The photos show in the Forum, were a fortnight ago. The shape of the camellia tree in my picture is very similar to the camellia of your photo. Also the flowers and leaves are very similar. 'Adolphe Audusson' is a variety of Camelia very strong. Many red flowers. It is very resistant to cold. It is a camellia to recommend.
Regards.
Daniel D.F. oKintos

Here is a link that might be useful: XLVI International Camellia Show (Slideshow)

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 3:45PM
jeepgirl19700(z9 Tx)

Whoa Nelly! I had no idea Camellias grew so big!

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 10:38AM
GAAlan(z7b(on map) 8(imby) Atlanta)

There is a very similar japonica in downtown Palmetto GA, in flower and stature. Huge plant, large red flowers with a stiff, narrow, central column of stamens in each flower. It was in full bloom on March 29 last year.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:02AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Older plantings around here have similar examples, a friend has gotten 33' in height for a local specimen using accurate measuring equipment. In Asia much bigger ones are known.

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 10:56PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Good to see some that big in the South. From my travels and what I've read the tree sized ones are more common in Europe. I seem to recall the writings of JC Raulston noting quite a few trees well over 30' tall in Spain and Italy. Although the SE US is more prone to disastrous freezes and storms I also think there is a cultural factor at play; they are so commonly planted as "foundation" or "screening" shrubs and therefore people don't let them get big.

Bookmark   March 14, 2011 at 5:56PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I saw a huge pink camellia in the Sussex garden blog linked below. Scroll down to the fourth photo from the top. If you click on the photo twice, you can see it full-size.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Huge Pink Camellia

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 10:16AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Tall camellias are pretty common in mild enough climates. Some kinds are more upward-oriented than others, what makes camellias shrubs most of the time in western cultivation is the lack of dominating single trunks that reach up high inside the crown.

And not lack of height. Given enough time, these often extend up into the small tree height range.

Bookmark   March 22, 2011 at 1:59PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I've seen many big camellias on old properties all over the deep south. You'll see them in cemeteries, also.

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 12:48PM
okintos

It is possible that you like to see some of the heritage trees of camellias that we have in Galicia. These two camellias that I show are not the highest we live here, but they show that large can become camellias.
Greetings.
Daniel Dominguez Fernandez oKintos

Camellia japonica S-16 in Soutomaior Castle Garden (Soutomaior, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).

Camellia japonica S-16 in Soutomaior Castle Garden (Soutomaior, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).

Camellia japonica 'Mathusalem' in the garden of "Pazo de Castrelos" (Vigo, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).

Camellia japonica 'Mathusalem'in the garden of "Pazo de Castrelos" (Vigo, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).

Here is a link that might be useful: Soutomaior Castle. Exhibition of Camellias 2011

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™