Palms trees in Victoria, BC vs snowstorm in Toronto

Paul_OntFebruary 16, 2013

I travelled to Victoria, BC and they had palm trees in some gardens as well as public places. I flew back to Toronto in a snowstorm. My big question is how can there be palm trees in places like Victoria, Nanaimo and Vancouver while all of southern Ontario gets temperatures that can be lower than -20C?They also had some flowers in Victoria. What a shocking difference in winter climate. Victoria is more northerly than Toronto. Some say the ocean helps keep the palm trees alive in winter. Why does it not work in places like Halifax, Nova Scotia? Another snowstorm is headed for the east coast while Toronto sits in the cold and gardeners in Victoria look at green grass and the odd palm tree outside. I am green with envy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

Two major reasons and a slew of minor ones.

1. Both the jet stream and prevailing winds in Canada blow from the west. In BC, that means warm moisture laden air blowing off the relatively warm Pacific.

2. The Cascades and Rockies act to block the worst of the Arctic outflows. The cold air gets channeled down the western slopes of the Rockies before the jet stream takes it east.

Canada's east coast does benefit from the moderating effect of the ocean but with no blocking mountain range, prevailing winds blowing from the west, and the really warm Gulf Stream current well offshore, there is only so much moderating the Atlantic can do.

Now in Western Europe, the Gulf Stream provides a BC like climate at the same latitude.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 5:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sensiblegardening

I've lived in Vancouver but now live in the southern interior. As much as the west coast can grow palms, I think they look totally out of place. Give me a beautiful Arbutus tree any day.

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Planting near to the wooden fence of lawn
Is it ok to grow my plants just adjacent to the wooden...
sdraza1
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™