need help to rectify a bad pruning job

andranae(z7 MD)April 24, 2005

While i was away on vacation in the summer last year, my father took it upon himself to prune my beautiful 50+ year old 15 foot camellia tree.. He did a horrible job of unruly "whacking", especially in the middle...Now there are huge gaps and bare branches... Of course i am devastated.I fertilized it to see what would happen.. All of the buds bloomed and turned brown in week. I would like to prune it but am not sure how much or in what way i should prune.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

An established old camellia is nearly indestructible. They can take a bad haircut and always come back. (I have even cut them back to a stump in some instances to rejuvenate.) I would suggest patience, to see how and where it generates new growth, and then prune for shape. It may take a couple of years to regain its form, but it should be fine.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 2:00PM
PeaBee4(9a)

Don't worry. It will come back and be even fuller. A bush that old, unless it's a slow grower like Pink Perfection, will be back to it's full height in about 5-6 years.

Bookmark   April 24, 2005 at 7:04PM
noviceatoller

I "inherited" a bunch of camellias that are about 20-25 years old. The healthiest looking ones are the ones I've pruned to stumps. It really only takes 2-3 years to get a bushy plant back.

Bookmark   May 19, 2005 at 10:00PM
More Discussions
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™