selecting branches for pruning/air layering

compost_angel(7b)April 10, 2014

Hi all,

I have four very overgrown camellia bushes along the side of my carport. They are easily 10' tall and haven't been pruned in many years, if ever. I would like to start air layering them, and need advice on selecting branches. Do branches on a particular part of the plant respond better to air layering? Any advice on how to air layer several branches and still have an aesthetically pleasing plant when I'm done? I'm hoping to air layer branches as thick as my finger. Are those too big?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

The only suggestion I have heard of regarding particular parts of the plant that respond better to air layering deals with removing 1.5 to 2 times the diameter of the branch and to do this 1-2 feet of the tip of the limb. So the branches should not be too thick, definitely smaller than my fingers! :o)

You could do air layering on branches that are pointing away from the main/front of the shrub. Most of my camellias are against the house so I would choose branches that point towards the house so their absence (when cut) is not obvious and the plant still looks fine when looked from the front.

Bookmark   April 20, 2014 at 5:52PM
More Discussions
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™