what's wrong with my camellia?

tinatinaApril 28, 2005

It's had a few buds that fell off before they could become proper flowers. Please note brown-edged leaves.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canelas

Is possible "cosecatus camelliae". Doyou say the spanish web http://www.efa-dip.org/INDEX2.HTM

Bookmark   April 28, 2005 at 1:57PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

The brown edges look like winter burn or it could have been the lack of water for a time. Did you have any unusual frosts this winter? I thought I had read that parts of Europe had some abnormally cold days.

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 11:43AM
tinatina

Thank you, you are so right! it was exceptionnally cold (below freezing, around -6 Celsius) for a good part of February, which only happened one other time this century apparently. I didn't realize it could do so much damage. The flowers have been soft and brown and falling off while still in the bud stage. Is it permanent, or will it recover?

Bookmark   April 29, 2005 at 1:35PM

It should recover okay. I was at my sister's house today and she was moaning about some of the winter damage on hers and all the buds that didn't open and just fell off. Hers is an old old one that she inherited when she bought the house and it is about 12ft tall and still full of blooms and buds. As far as I'm concerned, it still looks beautiful! Here are some pics of it today (in the rain, lol), where you can see the winter damaged leaves:

This is what the whole thing looks like (fence is 6ft tall):

Don't worry - my sister's camellia has seen temps down to near -15° C this past winter (and has gone through lower temps a few times over the decades) and it's still here. Yours will be fine!

Bookmark   April 30, 2005 at 8:26PM
joan_tigue(ireland)

It was planted last year, I had flowers the first spring, and no flowers this year, why?

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 7:19AM

joan - do you know what kind it is? Some bloom in winter/spring and some in fall and sometimes fall bloomers are held dormant and were late to bloom when sold (so they bloom in spring).

Otherwise, did you see any buds on it before winter came?

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™