Several Wildflower Plant ID's???

imabirdnutJuly 15, 2011

I have several flowers that were either volunteers in my garden or I found on the side of the road...please help me ID them??? Are they BF host plants???

#1 Found as volunteer in my Tomatoe Garden in May & was about 5 ft tall...

#2 Found along side of road in July & is definitely in the Pea family---clusters of blusih-purple flowers

#3 Found in my Wildflower area in March--was about 1-2ft tall with 1-2"red flowers, maybe came out of a wildflower seed mix

I collected seeds from #2 & am planning to scatter them in my wildflower area for next year.

Thanks for your help with these & I'm also posting this thread in the Native Plant section!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seedmoney

Howdy,
Wildflower #3 is Adonis aestivalis, aka Summer Pheasant's Eye. It's generally considered a self-seeding annual...of course you are in TEXAS...so you may be immune to the vagaries the rest of us face ;-)
regards,
seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower #3 identified

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:08PM
seedmoney

Ok,
Number one is bad news, it's Yellow Sweet Clover, Melilotus officinalis. Intentionally introduced from Eurasia in the early 1900s as a forage crop, it has since escaped cultivation and is rapidly displacing native flora and bugs. It has a white-flowered form as well. Click this link to read more-- get rid of it while you can! Every seed is viable..

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive White or Yellow Sweet Clover

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:28PM
imabirdnut

Thanks...SEEDMONEY!!!
Still waiting to get an ID on #2...someone thought it was alfalfa but it doesn't look anything like the alfalfa I've got growing for my BFs! It is more shrubby than the alfalfa. I am planning to grow some next season to see if I get BFs on it. It was growing on the side of the road here west of DFW. It could be a cover crop that has escaped in our rural area...but it's really a pretty blusih/purple blooming summer plant.

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™