Is this really Kumasaka?

ikea_gwApril 3, 2010

Bought a camellia japonica 'Kumasaka' last fall and yesterday it finally bloomed. The flowers are beautiful and giant, 4 inches across with the right color. However, it is not nearly as double as I thought it should be and the stamen are very prominent. Here is a picture. Can someone tell me if this is actually Kumasaka or some other japonica? Either way, it is lovely and I am glad I bought it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hello, ikea_gw. It seems to be the correct plant to me but I am not sure what you meant when you said that it does not seem as double as you thought... I would describe it as a "double" but not as a "formal double".

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 6:47PM
ikea_gw

luis_pr, some of the pictures I have seen are more formal double. But today I went out and looked at some of the newly opened blossoms and some of them are definitely formal double. So I guess the blooms vary slightly on this. Either way, I think it is the correct plant.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:12PM
luis_pr

Enjoy then! This does not apply in your case but, when new camellias have their first blooms, the flowers sometimes do not resemble what we see in photos. As the plant gets older, they do.

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™