Camellia bud problem

veronica191(8b and 4)April 14, 2006

Two other friends and I live in the same neighborhood and are having problems with the camellia buds not opening on our bushes. The tips of the buds turn brown. Also when the flowers start to open they don't fully open up all the way. My purple dawn camellia flowers changed colors this year and has white stripes running thru the flower petals. I have had this camellia for years and never had this problem with the white stripes in the flower petals. Any help with this problem would be appreciated. I like my purple dawn camellia. The flowers were so pretty on that bush in previous years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Hello veronica191. I have been thinking if you have one problem or more with your plant. Your symptoms do not match any one item that I have looked at.

For example, bud drop can be caused by environmental factors such as the weather. Like when it rains too much or too little. Insecticides used on the camellia or nearby plants can cause bud drop (check the label; it should have a warning saying that it can cause bud drop). And a mite that can infect camellias could cause bud drop. But none of those things explain the striping that you mention.

I have read some information that suggests striping can be caused by either genes or viruses. The only virus that I know which affects camellias is the Camellia Yellow Mottle Virus and the symptoms do not match your description.

So, I assume that another type of virus has affected the camellia and caused the striping. Something simple like pruning an already infected plant and then pruning the camellia would cause this.

Striping though, is common in camellias and, actually, many people even like the look. That is why you see camellias such as Eleanor McCown, Bella Rosa Variegated, Chandleri Elegans Variegated, Daikagura, etc. for sale at many nurseries.

So, what to do... I suggest you contact the American Camellia Society's horticulturist at culture@camellias-acs.com or a local ACS chapter such as the Mobile Camellia Society in Alabama
http://www.mobilecamellia.org/default.htm.

You might also try your local Extension Service or talk with a master gardener at the nursery where you purchased the camellia (bring a sample in a sealed plastic bag).

Good luck and let us know what they say,
Luis

Bookmark   April 29, 2006 at 2:32PM
veronica191(8b and 4)

Thank you for all the information. I will ask at a local nursery about the problems I am having with the camellia. The plant has been in that same area for years. The same plants have been in that area also for years. We have had some hurricanes hit our area and it was lifted out of the ground a little. I put it back in and tied it up. I thought that may have been the problem. The other camellia I have planted by it is doing okay. I must admit it is pretty with all the different colors of the flowers that open up on it. But I am fond of the orginal flower on my purple dawn. Thank you again Veronica.

Bookmark   May 4, 2006 at 1:47AM
judyb-2008

I am trying to locate an old variety of purple dawn, the dark pink with the purple edge. Do you know where i could purchase some? Please advise. thank you.
Judy B. Wise

Bookmark   September 14, 2008 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia Sinensis Dying - Please Help!
Around the beginning of the year, I received a camellia...
goldenjoe
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials.
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials. Hello,...
florence_2007
Sponsored Products
Sample-Fusion Camellia With Copper Deco Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
Camellia Pendant
Lightology
Lavender and Brownia Wreath
Grandin Road
Jamie Young Camellia 15"W Antique Silver Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus