Leaves turning brown and curling up.

newgen(9 Central California)April 6, 2010

I bought a 5-gallon camellia from Home Depot, it has white flowers. I forgot the exact cultivar name. Repotted it, placed under patio, no direct sunlight, but plenty of indirect light, though. I check the soil moisture with one of those 2-prong gauge, sticking it all the way down as far as the gauge can go, which is about 10", and it shows to have enough water. However, the soil feels dry to my fingers. Do camellias like the soil to be damp? Most of the leaves turned kinda darkish green/brown and curl up, several have fallen off, flower buds also turned brown with the white petals not opening up. By contrast, the 3 other camellias that I planted in the ground are doing great.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

It needs more moisture. Camellias like contant moisture, not dry nor wet. Many of the roots are in the top few inches so you want to feel moisture at depth of 4" or so, not at 10".

Insert a finger to a depth of 4" and see how it feels. If it feels wet, take no action. If it feels moist, do the same. If it feels dry or almost dry then water. Put about 3-4" of mulch and keep the pot away from windy areas. Test with the finger method daily for about two weeks. Every time that you water, make a note on a wall calendar. After two weeks, observe how often you are watering (every 2/3/4/etc days). Then make a habit to water on that same frequency. If the temps change more than 10 degrees and stay there, use the finger method again. Lack of moisture will cause the plant to drop the flower buds.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 11:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newgen(9 Central California)

Great info, thanks Luis! I will do that and hopefully it'll recover. The 3 in ground camellias are indeed in moist soil, this one is potted and dry.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 1:59AM
More Discussions
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™