Ants nest in Camelia pot

jashmoreApril 5, 2014

I have a camelia plant in a pot, but I've noticed there's quite a lot of ants in there. Is there a method that will eliminate the ants but not harm the plant?

I'd prefer to keep it potted if possible.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Check to see if you have aphids. Aphids love to eat new growth and excrete honeydew, which in turn attracts ants.

Soap sprays or insecticidal sprays can be used to kill aphids. You can also shoot a hard spray of water to the plant.

An organic minded store can also provide you with ant solutions like neem oil, cornmeal and other products. They should be ok to use on a potted camellia.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 7:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmr423

If those are fire ants, you will probably need to use ant poison. I wish I knew of an effective way to get rid of them without poisoning them, but I don't.

Other types of ants I wouldn't worry too much about unless- as Luis suggests- you do have an aphid problem. In which case, the ants should go away once you take care of the aphids.

Luis, another aphid treatment I've seen recommended is a milk and water spray (1 part milk to 3 parts water)- have you heard of this/ tried it?

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 7:37PM
More Discussions
Has anyone is USA bought a Camellia Azellia?
It's a plant grafted onto a camellia. For ten years...
butterfly4u
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™