New leaves all yellow on two year old camellia

ginjjApril 11, 2005

Hello,

I planted a one gallon Buddah Reticulata in 2003. It came from a well known public garden so should be a good specimen. It did have two beautiful blooms this winter. My concern is that all the new leaves are yellow and have been since they opened about a month ago. I keep looking for them to green up but no real change so far. We have had a very wet winter. It is planted on a slight mound and the drainage below should be ok. Should I worry or do anything? Thanks

Ginny in San Jose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lunaflora21(z8 WA)

Hi Ginny,
What kind of yellow are we talking here-- a golden tint? completely lemon yellow? yellow with green veins? With a better description or picture, it would be easier to diagnose the problem, if there is one (shich it seems there may be). A couple things that I can think of that would make the new leaves more yellow colored would be either a nutrient deficiency, or sometimes if Camellias are planted in high light situations (they usu.prefer partial or full shade) their leaves will turn a yellowy, or bronze-ish color. How are the lower leaves?

Lunaflora

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 4:16PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Yellowing new leaves on an acid loving plant could indicate an iron deficiency. What is the pH of your soil?

Bookmark   April 19, 2005 at 1:58PM
ginjj

Opps, forgot to get back to this question. Thanks for the ideas. I also talked to a member of our local camellia society who said it is most likely the fact that when it was leafing out it was in full sun. The trees that shade it in the summer are deciduous. A fact I didn't think about when I planted it! It may be a lost cause for camellias in this spot. The lower leaves are green, it's just the new leaves from this spring. I haven't checked the Ph but should. Thanks again
Ginny

Bookmark   April 22, 2005 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Hughes Leather Ottoman - Brighton Polinesia Blue
Joybird Furniture
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Naya Green 5 ft. x 7 ft. 6 in.
Home Depot
39 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Canton Right Modular Bar Unit
Overstock.com
Furniture of America Florencine Counter Height Round Glass Top Dining Table - Wh
$616.35 | Hayneedle
simplehuman C Recycler Liners
$5.50 | FRONTGATE
Polished Granite Double-Bowl Farmhouse Sink - Chiseled Front
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Grey/Cream 2 ft. 3 in. x 14 ft.
$88.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™