Turandots are blooming

Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VAApril 16, 2011

These plants have only been in the ground for about three years. They are vary lanky right now. We are hoping to shape them up a bit more densely. Can that be done with this variety? Beautiful blooms looking everything like a big peony.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Wow - those are gorgeous!

Jackie

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 6:50PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I agree. An excellent picture and gorgeous blooms, Dave! When was the picture taken? Recently in April? Is it a late bloomer then?

The information from Camellia Forest is that Turandots are normally a dense shrub so your shrub may be getting lanky due to lack of sunlight. If you want to correct that, you may have to cut it hard to encourage branching lower down on the plant and then try pinching and-or some small & selective pruning to encourage a bushier plant. Giving it more light by transplanting would also help too, of course.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 6:06AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Luis, thanks for the encouragement. I will trim them back hard after blooming. These get a fair amount of sun, so I'm not worried about light levels. They've only been in the ground several years.

Regarding bloom time, it really depends on what zone you live in. Here in Northern Virginia, we would consider them a late bloomers. They are still blooming right now - late April. However, down South, who knows? They might bloom in February. LOL!

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Camellia Sinensis Dying - Please Help!
Around the beginning of the year, I received a camellia...
goldenjoe
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™