Aphids and Favas

ck36March 31, 2013

My favas were completely destroyed by aphids this year. Despite hosing them off the plants weekly and several soap sprays they overwhelmed the plants and even the bean pods themselves. When I pulled most of them out this weekend the soil was so dense with aphids it literally looked like the ground was moving. There is finally a population of lacewings, soldier bugs? (orange head/black body), and even one ladybug feasting on them but much too late.
They were growing in a raised bed, I grow them every year without ever having trouble like this. I don't use any pesticides in the garden, rarely use even a soap spray as I'm too lazy. The aphids were black and looked similar in appearance to ones that periodically attack a cherry tree I have at the other end of the yard.
Is this unusual? Should I leave a few plants standing to provide food for the predators? Any harm in putting the aphid covered plants in the compost?
thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Those black aphids are nasty and harder to get rid of than the green ones who are wimps in comparison. They ruined my broccoli-rabe one year. Might be that because we had so little rain the baddie population got the chance to quickly explode. The predators always lag the prey. That's nature.

I get them on my succulent flowers and get rid of them by spraying with rubbing alcohol, though you could try vodka on edibles, wait a few minutes then wash off the plants.

If your compost is covered they can die in there, otherwise I'd worry about them going elsewhere for more food and destruction. :(

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tinan

I'm battling orange aphids here, they just keep coming back! The ladybugs I bought fled the next day and abandoned me to battle with the hose and the soapy water. I've never had them before, this is awful it must be a bad year for them. Ugh!

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 12:31AM
More Discussions
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™