O. Gurkenii

JGW3(7)April 21, 2013

OK I know it's a bromeliad, I hope no one gets too worked up about me posting here. But, it seems like this forum really has a lot more traffic and some really knowledgeable people. But I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone growing this guy? I have had one about a year and a half and it really is my favorite. In appearance its more like a succulent than a bromeliad anyhow. Just wanted to check and see if anyone has one and see what kind of experience they have had or if anyone has any good information it them.

Hope I dont get in trouble for posting about a non succulent here.

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

No, I don't think anyone will get worked up about it, John. It's a drought tolerant plant...so somewhat fits. I was going to ask you what the 'O' stood for, but then figured the gurkenii name was odd enough to get me some hits on Google. It DID! =) Orthophytum gurkenii it is!

Now that I've seen pix of that lovely striped thing...I think I MUST HAVE one! Hee hee! The inflorescence (if that's what I saw) was quite unique. right up my alley!

I think we've had posts about Cryptanthus & other broms before. No prob!

I'm sorry to say I don't have one & don't know anything about their care. Perhaps someone else will come along that can help you. :)

I've had my share of Broms over the years, but not that one.

This post was edited by rosemariero on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 16:18

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JGW3(7)

Its pretty funny how I got it. I bought it on Ebay. Literally thought I was bidding something completely different. Then I thought that I totally over paid for it. I gave like 12 bucks shipped for it. Then when I went looking all that I could find was a seed or too. Anyhow its now my favorite but has been indoors all year and it turning green. Hoping that warmer weather, a re pot and a little sunshine with do it some good and bring back those awesome colors. Maybe even get it to flower so that I can trade away some babies for my next big find.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Any experience with black spots in jade when pruning?
Anyone seen this? Fresh cut... Some said on another...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
What is this and how do I propagate it?
I found this little bud/pup at school the other day...
Alex
daves10z7annv
do all cacti need a cold season to bloom?
the dormant period at the end of the year... do any...
kyrri
Managed to kill it...
Well, I managed to kill a Lithops via dehydration......
breton2
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Heracleum the Big O Suspension Light
YLighting
Deep Orange Clam Pillow
$120.95 | Bellacor
Mini Square Chrome Two-Light Bath Fixture with Royal Cut Jet Black Crystal and O
$300.00 | Bellacor
Croscill Pierce Coverlet - 2A0-123O0-0711/100
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Select Luxury E.C.O. All Natural Latex Medium Firm 10-inch Full-size Hybrid Matt
Overstock.com
Puzzle Piece 2' L-Series Mat
$619.95 | FRONTGATE
Natalie 72" Double Bathroom Vanity by Wyndham Collection - Espresso
Modern Bathroom
Howard Elliott 43110O Whittington Orange Mirror
Beyond Stores
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™