description of caterpillar - no picture

carol23_gwJuly 28, 2010

My computer is not accepting the camera card so I cannot post a photo.

Today I found a big fat solid green caterpillar. It has 4 tiny orange protrusions on one end, and one small orange protrusion at the other end.

One set of tiny orange protrusions( further from the end and above the first set) has a very thin black band around it ( seen under a hand lens)

Thanks for your help. I looked at one on line green caterpillar site and the closest I came to it was a Peridea species.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrcagle(z7 MD)

"big, fat, and solid" sounds like a moth caterpillar. Have you considered either a Giant Silkworm (such as Luna Moth Actias luna or the Polyphemus Moth Antheraea polyphemus) or else some kind of Sphinx Moth (such as the Tomato Hornworm Manduca quinquemaculata)?

Even if those are not an exact match, the shape of the larvae is representative of the entire family.

Jeff

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 3:53PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

By projections, do you mean something like the ones on these sweetbay moth caterpillars?

Sherry

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 7:30PM
carol23_gw

Yes. This was a solid green caterpillar. It has two sets of tiny orange projections ( not like a saddleback which has stung me while gardening) on one end, and one tiny orange thing on the other end. There were no stripes, just a seam along the sides near the underside of it. I could not tell which end was front! LOL.

I looked through one site that had 70 pictures of green caterpillars and could not find a match.

It had to be a moth and it was a large caterpillar. I've seen tomato types but don't think that's it.

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™