Is Professor Sargent hardy for zone 7a?

ikea_gwApril 14, 2011

Bought a nice plant of this at a big box store today but now I don't know if this is hardy for my area. I am in northern virginia. Anyone in zone 7a grow this? Do I have to provide extra winter protection to get nice flowers? Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Yes, ikea_gw, it is hardy in Zone 7 and, by the way, it is a nice red flower too. No protection is usually needed. Weather that stays warm for a long time and then dips to freezing can cause flower bud drop. So can extreme temperature fluctuations. If you can block the cold winter winds with some form of wind break and maintain 3-4" of mulch, that would be all the winter protection for me. Do remember to water it during dry winters though , especially if the ground does not freeze & remember to stop all fertilizers by the end of July. Luis

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 9:42PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

ikea,

See my (poor quality) video of my Prof Sargent! It has been very hardy for me. I'm also in Northern Virginia -- in Annandale. I have it in a Northwest exposure. No winter morning sun. It gets late afternoon sun. The buds have been very hardy. It is an early to mid-season bloomer for me...late March, early April.

Prof Sargent video link

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 9:19AM
ikea_gw

dave, that is a very healthy looking camellia you have there. Now I know it will definitely be hardy for me. Just need to find a good spot for it! Thanks!

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™