Jacks

restoner(6B-7A)April 16, 2013

Jacks is a nice sturdy plant, seems to hold up well to heavy wet snow.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Very nice indeed. And how is your Black Magic? I do not see any snow whatsoever in this picture so you must be glad winter is over too?

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 8:29PM
restoner(6B-7A)

Hi Luis - Yes, no more snow! One week it was freezing and the next in the 80âÂÂs so directly from winter to summer this year. The Black Magic buds appeared to survive the frost, I was watching them slowly mature but after some heavy rain all that was left was petals on the ground. I saw Black Magic a few years ago at a camellia show and the flowers were so odd, the petals were actually shiny (never have seen that in another camellia). This past winter was actually pretty mild (for around here) the lowest temperature all winter was 10 degrees. Hopefully, IâÂÂll have another shot at seeing Black Magic flowers next year. Cheers

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:09PM
luis_pr

The very odd and very shiny leaves may be un-natural. I saw something similar at a plant show and someone told me that she used the inner part of a banana peel to transfer oils into the leaves that gave it that look. It was eons ago so, I do not remember the specifics.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™