Plant markers

claubill(z3Sud ONT)March 22, 2006

ABout 4 years ago, we dug up the city part of the front yard, the part just before you hit the sidewalk and transplanted a whole bunch of left-over perennials from the backyard. Over the years, people have walked by and some will even ask the names of the flowers. So this morning, I had this idea. What if I put label markers by the flowers. But I'm wondering if there is such a thing on the market where you can write out the names of the flowers on labels and the names ever fade? Any suggestions? I don't want anything too expensive as I'm afraid that some people will actually steal some of the labels. Two years ago, in the middle of the night, someone had actually dug up two of our autumn joy sedums and took off with them. So any suggestions. I guess I could simply put new identification markers when they fade out. We live right beside a Montessori school so it might be fun for the kids. Any pros and cons to this idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
treemedic(z4b Ontario)

I use the tags in the link below from Lee Valley Tools. They are 9.95 for 50 of them. The copper tags can be written on with a pen and the engraved words stay forever. I then wrap the copper wire around a 4 inch galvanized nail and stick it in the ground. A cheap tag that lasts forever...unless it gets stolen ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper Plant Tags

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 8:26AM
nebypera(z5 Tor)

I use scissors to cut aluminum soda cans in similar shapes (Cut one end in a point and poke the tag directly into soil) and then write with a ball pen. The engraved words stay forever and it costs nothing.

Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 11:37AM
sunkeeper(5 Ontario)

Why don't you just paint the names on flat rocks or stone to add to your garden? Paint takes forever to fade.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 7:52AM
claubill(z3Sud ONT)

I truly love the idea of painting on rocks. That is brilliant. Thank you Sunkeeper. I think that's what I'll do.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 8:23AM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

If you coat your rock labels with outdoor varnish after painting the names, they'll last even longer.

Bookmark   March 23, 2006 at 10:44AM
sheryl_ontario(Muncho Lake, BC z2)

I cut horizontal blinds into 4" pieces and use those. You'll get hundreds from just one blind.

Bookmark   March 25, 2006 at 6:40AM
gumtree4(Z8/BC Canada)

I also use cut up venetian blinds. I then write on them with felt pen......

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 10:33PM
msjean(Z6..NS...Canada)

I have been buying white T plastic name tags at the Dollar store. They are 10 for $1.00.

Some one told me they use plastic knives stuck in the soil. Those would be even cheaper :)
What do you all use to write on the blinds that will not fade ?

Bookmark   March 28, 2006 at 2:42PM
ntaylor_2006(CA5a/US4a)

I started using broken pieces of terra cotta pots last year, with acrylic paint. Your can use a drill to make a hole (slow and easy does it), and then use some stiff wire to make a hook, or larger pieces could be set in the ground.
I sealed them with varnish and urethane, but can't remember which was which, and one didn't work! Oh well.

They look pretty neat.

Bookmark   April 2, 2006 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
test
test
Nitefall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™