April Rose

restoner(6B-7A)April 29, 2014

For cold area growers, this seems to be the best that I've grown (this wretched year). The Camellia Forest website says that April Rose was one of the only camellias to open after the serious cold of 1985 (paraphrasing). Appears to be the same after the dismal winter of 2014.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Awesome bloom. Pat your shrub and yourself on the back. Is this picture from today? Wow if it is. I have been wanting to get some early & late bloomers myself.

My winter weather was not exactly cold or dismal this year. It just had a lot of wild temperature fluctuations (70s the day before and 20s on the next; that kind of thing). I recall someone on the news/weather mentioned that it was way above average. Then I panicked thinking about the camellias losing flower buds and the hydrangeas starting leaf out from the base. Ugh.

I noticed that unprotected camellias had some bud drop but those in a more protected location had no bud drop. They all started blooming on schedule in Jan but then took a 2 month break and restarted in late March to early April.

Therefore the desire to add more early and late bloomage. Enjoy whatever bloomage April Rose still has.

Luis

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:25AM
restoner(6B-7A)

Thanks, Luis that was a picture from the same day. There are quite a few more buds getting ready to open, too.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 8:17PM
BaskingRidgeGirl

After planting 30 april dawn and april rose, I was sooo disappointed when this terrible winter killed about 10 of my plants. Thankfully some that looked dead ended up coming back. I found out after the winter that I should have used Wilt Pruf to protect them from the harsh winter. Your plant looks beautiful. Mine had so many buds that just simply toasted with this winter. I'm hopeful that by moving them to the more north side of the house, they'll fare better. One question: How fast do they grow?

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:22PM
restoner(6B-7A)

Dr. Ackerman says April Rose is compact and relatively slow growing, Mine's about four feet tall and grows a few inches each year. Would be curious to know what the ultimate height is.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 11:35AM
BaskingRidgeGirl

Thanks. Regarding height, cam forest and others say up to 8ft by 4-5 ft wide.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 3:57PM
luis_pr

Camellias can live for hundeds of years. In ideal locations, you can just imagine but, in a home setting like yours and mine, they will start to hit "problems" once they get exposed to too much sun and that will limit their growth.

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™