Onions and Rutabaga

sammorganMarch 1, 2013

HI
I have two questions...

I have order onion bulbs from Veseys. Should i start them inside now so they have a head start on the garden...will that produce larger onions for the fall?

I also ordered Rutabaga (turnip) seeds. Should i start these indoors as well? Package says that i can direct sow or start indoors. I have never grown these before and would like a large crop for the fall harvest...any advise?
thanks
Sam...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
braeburn040(2B/3 BC)

to sammorgan
Here in our zone 3 area, I plant onion bulbs(sets) in the spring early May and they do well. The Rutabaga I grow from seed outdoors May 24 or so, they grow quite fast like a radish. I plant most of my onions from seed which I start inside and set out as transplants in mid may. The varieties I plant from seed are, Walla Walla, Candy, and Hendrix. The Rutagaga are "Laurentian".

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 12:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thirsty_dirt_77(3a)

Hi Sam,

I have previously purchased onion sets and rutabaga seeds from Veseys and have been very happy with them.(I purchase all my seed from Veseys.)

I always plant the sets and seeds directly into my garden May long weekend and get good growth out of both by the end of the summer. If I recall correctly I left the onions in until the frost killed the tops and had an average size of 3 - 3.5".

Rutabaga will get sweeter if left in the ground until the weather turns cool. I have planted Laurentian before and have harvested them as late as the end of September with some being as large as 8-9" in diameter.

Beware of the white cabbage butterfly if you've never grow rutabaga before. Many people use row covers to protect their plants from these pests. I find row covers cumbersome and just dust my plants with DE (diatomaceous earth) on a regular basis and it prevents a lot of damage.

If you don't plant the onions sets right away they need to be stored in a cold area otherwise they may start to sprout, mold, or dry out.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Sponsored Products
Dania Teak Onion Crate - Skagerak
$89.00 | HORNE
Cape Cod Medium Sienna Bronze Outdoor Wall Mount
$219.00 | Bellacor
Verner Panton – Onion
| Italy Design
Nuvo 1-light Textured Black Onion Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Onion Bulb Pendant in Gray
$199.99 | Dot & Bo