Katie Supreme didn't bloom

lafu115(7)May 7, 2012

I planted several camellia the last two years and all bloomed on schedule their first year even if just a few blooms. One however went through an entire year without blooming. It is Camellia Japonica Katie Supreme. It had aphids a couple of times, resolved easily with Neem oil. It is was 3 gal size when I got it (from Camforest) and has grown. Is it likely it didn't bloom the first year because it was new -- and I just got really lucky with everything else (most of which are sasanqua and not japonica). Is there anything I can do to help ensure it blooms this year? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay_7bsc(8a)

It's not at all unusual for newly planted camellias to take several years to adjust to a new environment and to acquire the maturity to bloom normally. Just be patient and wait. Provide adequate water during dry spells, but be sparing with the fertilizer. I think it's wise not to fertilize a camellia during its period of adjustment.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 9:57AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It would help if you monitor what exactly happened. For example, did the plant not produce flower buds? Or did the flower buds develop but never opened because they dried out or whatever. Each scenario has its own set of possibilities.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:02AM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™