Container Williamsii dying?

MarkG_UK(UK - Zone 8)May 26, 2005

Hi, I have a C.williamsii Donation in a pot outside here. I noticed last week that it's looking poorly. The new growth seems to be wilting..but very slowly. It has flowered well and was repotted a few weeks ago into ericaceous mix. The compost when repotted was moist and it was well watered after the move so I don't think it's been dry at all. I don't think it's frost damage because there haven't been any but it has been cold, down to 2C at night.

Just going to treat it for vine weevil now but if it had it I would have expected to have seen them when I repottled (though the root ball was not disturbed).

Any ideas? It was a present to my wife and it's precious to her. It's only about 3 yrs old.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Could it be a slow onset of root rot or some other root problem? As a surface rooter, they can be tricky in pots if the soil stays too wet. I let mine get dry down a ways in the pot before watering again (been there done that with too many acid-loving shrubs). Often the symptoms are a sudden wilt or drooping of the leaves that doesn't go away when the plant is watered.

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 3:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ljrmiller(z7 NV)

I lost both my Camellias (Korean Fire, Winter's Star) to root rot this year, probably from having 4 feet of snow that melted slowly. The Camellias NEVER had that much water in winter before. Lessons learned: 1) Drill MORE and big (1/2") holes in the bottoms of the cedar planters I use to hold Camellias 2) Make sure the containers don't touch the ground, but are elevated so that water can pour out the holes I just drilled. (I now use small landscape pavers as cheap pot feet.)

Before I figured out what was going on, I replaced the dead/dying Camellias with Japanese Maples, which seem to do better overall in containers. Now I have an excuse to find NEW Camellias to put in the old containers, which are currently baking in a sunny, unused side yard (no water) to hopefully kill any root rot organisms lurking in them. If I can get some copper sulfate or potassium permanganate, I'll paint the insides of the containers and let that dry to make darn sure, then rinse out all the chemicals before planting new Camellias.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Sponsored Products
Round Polished Bronze Waste Bin With Pedal
TheBathOutlet
Green Air Keeper Five-Piece Nesting Food Container Set
$19.99 | zulily
Ivy Terrace Chairs White Patio Adirondack Chair IVA15WH
Home Depot
Kalisto 3 Kitchen Box with Knob by Alessi
$147.00 | Lumens
Emerson Ottoman - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture