Leaf Gall on Sasanquas

veelakinMay 16, 2007

For the first time ever, I've got a problem with leaf gall. Perhaps the outbreak has something to do with the strange weather patterns we've had since December.

I've snipped off & destroyed all the distorted leaves I could find. Would it be advisable to follow-up with a fungicide? If so which one? Are the fungicides commonly used on roses effective for this Camellia problem? Any info/comments, etc are appreciated. Thanks.

Vee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Sorry about the problem you are having, Vee. You can try fungicides but chemical controls, such as mancozeb (Bonide Mancozeb Flowable, Southern Ag Dithane M-45) are limited in effectiveness because they must be applied before infection occurs (not after.. catch-22). You should use them for the next 2-3 years though. Start sprays at budbreak and continue through the first of June at 7- to 14-day intervals. Apply all chemicals according to directions on the label.

All you can do now is throw away the affected leaves in the trash (not the compost bin) and remove/destroy young galls before the lower leaf surfaces turn white and spores are released, or the disease will be worse the next year.

Luis

Bookmark   May 16, 2007 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™