Camellia Scentsation

kal2002May 12, 2010

Does Camellia Scentsation really have a scent? Mine is still in a 1 gallon pot and the flowers did not have any scent. Will it be scented when it gets older? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

A 1-gallon pot camellia is several years old and you should have detected some scent by now.

The best time to detect scent in any flower is early (7-9am?) in the morning on an overcast day. Try under those conditions.

Camellias do not yet have scent as powerful as that of roses so do not expect a knockout punch when you smell scented ones. I smell tested one of these Scentsations this winter and also found no scent. But.... it was a very windy day. I never went back to smell it again so it may yet have some scent.

Also, some people have difficulty detecting scent in flowers; I am not sure if you need a strong scent in order to detect scent but some people -my Mom for example- do.

Last possibility and actually the worst one, could the plant be mislabeled? Take a close look at pictures of the blooms and compare them to yours in order to hopefully confirm that this is not the case.

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™