Pruning Camelias and Azaleas

actionbiz(East Texas)May 21, 2005

Oh, my! They are growing so fast and it's getting really hot. I need to do a bit of pruning, especially on my camelias, which are turning into uncontrolled giants! Can someone in the know provide some advice on how to prune (where to cut), while minimizing damage to next year's blooms? Blooming took place early to mid-April. Is it still safe to prune?

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdinthepalm

I'm no camelia expert, but if they've just finished blooming you should be able to prune now. They flower the next time on growth they've made after flowering, so there should still be time. I think it's unfortunate that you feel the need to prune , but if they're in a relatively small space, you may have to prune. I think they're at there best, when they're allowed to grow to their full potential , but that's just me I guess and some will grow into small trees. We had a white japonica in CA that was as tall as the house and as wide as a small tree, and that would have hundreds of blossoms at at time, though it was prune to the bud problem.

Bookmark   May 21, 2005 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™