Columnar camellia?

oceanna(7 WWA)May 21, 2011

Please, which camellias grow tall, but not so wide?

At my last home I had a pale pink double flowering camellia that got maybe 8-10' tall, but was only maybe 4' wide. I never pruned it. It was a very prolific bloomer, literally covered in blooms. It looked good with its dark green foliage year round. I would love to have another like it at this house, or at least something similar.

Can you suggest any names for me please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay_7bsc(8a)

I think _Camellia japonica_ 'Herme,' introduced to American horticulture in 1875, fits the columnar bill. 'Herme,' correctly spelled with no _s_ at the end, is also known as 'Hikaru-Genji,' 'Jordan's Pride,' and Souvenir d'Henri Guichard.' The several synonyms indicate the popularity of this variety in the USA and abroad. It's medium-sized flowers are a frilly semi-double shaded deep pink toward their throats, edged with a white picotee, and streaked with carmine. This variety sports heavily; and there are numerous named sports, including one called 'Herme Pink,' which, like Mommer, has a long string of synonyms. 'Herme' and all members of her sporting clan grow tall and narrow.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 10:46AM
oceanna(7 WWA)

Thank you, Jay. I looked it up and it's a gorgeous flower. Says it goes 8' wide, which is pretty wide, but yes 15' tall. I'll bet that it's a total knockout when it blooms!

I'm about ready to drive down there and ask the home owners if I can take some clippings. But I don't know what I'm doing as far as propagating a camellia. Hmmmm.......

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 2:59AM
oceanna(7 WWA)

I finally figured out what would do the best in the area where I want this camellia. It needs to be tall, but not too wide down low. So I got a camellia TREE today. It's adorable! It blooms red in December. I'm in love.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 3:06AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Congratulations! I hope it is a variety that is a successful landscape performer in your climate zone.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 9:48PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

There's a variety called 'Ashton's High Rise' developed by Dr. Ackerman if you can find it. It is very columnar.

Ashton's High Rise

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 9:17AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

In general the more erect ones you see here are Camellia x williamsii cultivars. Most are some version of candy or bright pink, possibly that is what you had before.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Camellia sinensis in zone 10
Hello, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice...
borgf15
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™