Giant Milkweeds- can Calotropis do well indoors-artificial light?

acg85July 30, 2014

Has anyone grown either of the "giant" milkweeds (Calotropis gigantea and C. procera) exclusively indoors under artificial lighting?

It sounds like the huge leaves of Calotropis might make things easier as an abundant host food for monarch cats. (No choice but to grow indoors.)

Comments and suggestions welcomed. Some questions that come to mind - Would these plants be expected to do well indoors all the time (~72-80ÃÂF)? How large a container (if kept pruned)? Or are they just too big? Are they very fast growers? Do the the leaf-hairs get airborne and are they irritating to people or pets?

Mainly, though, do cuttings in water, or single leaves last a relatively long time (while being consumed, of course)?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

I do know that Calotropis takes well from cuttings, so keeping fresh food in water is no problem. However, Calotropis gets really large and needs a big container, at least a 15 gal. I do not know how they handle being potbound.
I would suggest something a little easier to contain like Tropical Milkweed.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acg85

Great about the leaves/cuttings staying well. Yep, have been growing A. curassavica indoors each year, and thinking one bigger plant with bigger leaves might be less work than several tropicals. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™