Camellia in trouble! Please help with suggestions

stever17May 3, 2014

Hi,

When we bought our house years ago we inherited a beautiful camellia. It is positioned perfectly in our backyard up against our house, we've had several landscapers remark as to how surprising it is to see one of this size in the northeast with winters as bad as they are. This past winter in particular took a toll on our camellia and it is looking like it's damaged and I'm not sure if it will recover or not, which is why i need your help. I'm unsure if i should leave it be and see if it will rebound on it's own,or if there is something i can do to help promote recovery, or worst case is it a goner...we have a handful of blooms (only like 3-6) but hopefully that means there is still a chance of recovery. I've included a picture from last year when it was looking good, and then i'll send separate posts with a few from today so you can see what i'm dealing with. thanks for your help.

steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stever17

here is one pic from today

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:13PM
stever17

last one.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:14PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

that's practically nothing in the grand scheme of damage from this winter
just leave it alone, completely, it will recover

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:21PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Sit on your hands and be patient. It's too early to tell what the future holds for your camellia. Remember.....fertilizer is not medicine!

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 5:22PM
vmr423

Cold-damaged camellias are never a pretty sight, but yours doesn't look too bad, really. Am guessing it must be situated in a nice little microclimate in your yard.

If you haven't seen new growth yet, be patient and wait for warmer weather. Those brown leaves should soon be replaced by new leaves (a lot of varieties have bronze-colored new growth, so don't worry- it'll turn greeen, if so).

Wait until you see where the new growth is before you try to prune away any dead wood.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 2:51AM
luis_pr(7b/8a)

You can discard some of those brown buds. It is not likely they will bloom this late in the season. But if you think they might, give them a light tug with your hand and discard them if they fall down (leave them if they do not fall).

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™