Looking for some help.

mrskjun(9)May 30, 2009

Stopped at a garage sale this morning and here were all these huge healthy camellias in three gallon pots for sale. I asked how much, and the girl said, we have no idea what these plants are, but they are four dollars each. Naturally, I started grabbing, picked up six and had to inform them of what they had, but they continued selling them for four dollars. But now, I don't know what I have. I have what were written on the sides of the nursery pots but some I can't find. I did find Debutante, but not the rest. If any of you have these or know where I can get info. I have Pink Masterpiece, Joshua Youtz, Apple Queen, White Peony, and what looks like Jury's Yellow. Any help would be appreciated. These look like they might be getting pot bound and I want to get them in the ground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

The care for them will be similar, you just need to keep them apart enough so proximity does not become a problem. I would assume a width of 6-8' if you cannot get specifics. Your local library may have book on camellias that you can check. Acidic, well draining moist soil plus 3-4" of mulch in a site that gets morning sun and afternoon shade (or dappled sun) will keep them happy. Cut the roots every 2" if they are root bound.

Go to the American Camellia Society Website for more information:

http://www.camellias-acs.org/display.aspx?catid=3,9

Here is a link that might be useful: Jury's Yellow

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 7:02AM
mrskjun(9)

Thank you luis, I've been able to find all of them except Apple Queen and White Peony. I have them all in the ground, I have the perfect soil for camellias. They are all setting buds, and are big healthy plants.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 5:33AM
johnnie-grower

white peony is a medium,white, full peony form japonica.Apple Queen is a white-edged blush pink large loose peony form japonica with vigourous upright growth habit

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 2:41PM
mrskjun(9)

Thanks johnie, that completes my descriptions. They have all been in the ground a month now and doing great.

Bookmark   July 3, 2009 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™