CAn camellias be divided?

bowdoin514911(7b)May 2, 2012

Hello. I live in SC, and have many camellias on my property, a gift from the former owners. I see new camellias popping up near some of the older bushes. I know very little about them, but was wondering since they are maybe 6" high, can they be dug up carefully, and be replanted elsewhere? I am not sure of the varieties I have, but they are beautiful when blooming. It's like as if I have flowers all year long...and I love it!

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Emma in Upstate SC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay_7bsc(8a)

Dear bowdoin514911 7b SC,
Yes, camellia seedlings can be dug up and relocated. I would wait until they are dormant in late fall or winter to transplant them. That will allow the camellias time to re-establish their root systems and, thus, lessen transplant shock. Camellia seedlings will have a tap root, which you should prune to encourage the development of their root system.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 10:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

What a treat for you! Camellia seedlings are fun and never a disappointment though the offspring won't be identical to the parent plant. The DNA of your many Camellias may all come into expression in the seedlings, considering how bees and other pollinating insects like the flowers!

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 9:48AM
More Discussions
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™