Cold Hardy Camellia Sinensis

semajeMay 2, 2010

Any one have any recommendations? I want it for tea.

I saw the other thread that is pretty much the same thing as this one, but I don't know much about camellias and I didn't know if that one was about sinensis.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

At this moment, camellia sinensis is not offered in cold hardy varieties. It is a warm region camellia. It does well in Zone 8 and can venture its toes into some Zone 7 areas where it may suffer winter damage at times but will recover. Your best bet is to grow it in a greenhouse type of setting during the cold winter months. There are cold hardy camellias that get around this problem by blooming early (called the Winter Series because they bloom in early) or late (called the April Series because they bloom in mid-to-late Spring). This allows the plant to survive the coldest temperatures while the much tender blooms survive warmer early-late winter temperatures. Unfortunately, "the" tea camellia sinensis is not one of them yet. One can still hope.

Bookmark   May 3, 2010 at 8:06AM
semaje

Oh wow. Thanks. For some reason I thought there was a few varieties.

Bookmark   May 4, 2010 at 6:12AM
steve_nj(7-a)

I have a few C. sinensis of varying hardiness. The hardier tyopes can take at least mid single digits. A small-leaved form sold by Camellia Forest is rated to zone 6, but I've not had a zone 6 winter since 93-94. You can get good regrowth from a Camellia by banking mulch around a plant from mid December to March.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 5:55PM
More Discussions
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
jujujojo_gw
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™