Camellia Magnoliaeflora

jbfoodie(z10 CA)June 24, 2005

Does anyone grow this? I am planning to purchase it soon, but I would like to know how fast it grows and how tall. How does it do in sun? I have 2 spots in which to plant camellias, one gets sun most of the day, the other gets maybe 3 hours of sun. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

'Magnoliaeflora' is one of the all-time classics. It is beautiful, with pretty foliage and habit, and perfect blooms. In my experience, it grows more slowly than most japonicas, but over a lifetime (if left unpruned) it can conceivably grow to small tree-size. I know of one in our area that is 75 years old, and as large as a minivan and about 15 feet tall. It grows in full sun, near a country farmhouse, where it is totally neglected and yet is covered with blooms each year. But our weather on the gulf coast is very humid, which allows us to grow them in full sun. I don't know about your climate, whether they could handle full sun or not, check with your local camellia club, but the more sun it gets, the more vigorously it will grow, so if it can handle the sunnier spot without burning or drying out, that would be my choice. The shady spot may be safer, but it will grow much slower and less bushy.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 8:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jbfoodie(z10 CA)

Thank you Forrest Al. I now know where I will plant it/her. Full sun it is. I have some shade cloth over the area where I plant to plant magnoliaeflora, so it won't be too much sun. I think it was your suggestion in another thread, but I plan to purchase Mine no yuki also. I will put it in the shadier spot, though it will get some pretty hot sun for a few hours. Thank you so much!

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 12:21AM
More Discussions
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™